As the educational institutions, specially the primary and secondary ones, are going to resume classes on Sunday after the Eid-ul-Azha vacation, the government has issued five instructions to prevent further spread of dengue. Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education (DSHE) issued the directives on Saturday (Jul 8) asking the authorities of the educational institutions to take proper measures to clean the school-college buildings and playground to prevent dengue spread.
DSHE sent the directives to the principals and field level education officers of all public and private educational institutions.
According to DSHE, dengue has spread in Dhaka city and different parts of the country and educational institutions need to take precautions to prevent further spread of dengue. As dengue is a mosquito-borne disease, stagnant water in school playgrounds and buildings and in flower pots are perfect breeding grounds for Aedes mosquitoes. In this situation, to prevent the spread of dengue, all the educational institutions of the country have been asked to follow the instructions after the Eid-ul-Azha holiday.
DSHE's five instructions are:
1. Cleaning playgrounds and school/college buildings regularly.
2. Removing stagnant water from the buildings/playground as soon as possible.
3. Cleaning flower tubs kept for beautification of educational institutions regularly.
4. Not letting water accumulate in the breeding sites of Aedes mosquito.
5. Informing students about ways to prevent dengue on a daily basis.